Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yum
If you read my weekly menus at all, you know that one of my favorite snacks if a handful a cashews with dried cranberries.  While I was eating this snack one day, the though occurred to me that it would make a great combination in a cookie...so I took my hazelnut butter cookie recipe and modified it a bit and voila my favorite snack is now my favorite cookie, no joke!  My boys loved it, minus the dried cranberries (they don't like dried fruit, yet), so either way these are amazing cookies!




Cashew Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup roasted cashew butter (recipe below)
1 cup coconut sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup GF flour blend
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used a combination of Enjoy Life mega chunks)
1/2 cup roasted cashew halves
1/2 cup dried cranberries, optional

Directions
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, cashew butter, and coconut sugar.  Add egg and vanilla, mix well.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture and mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips, cashews, and nuts.  Roll into 1-1 1/2 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown on edges and just set in middle.  Cool slightly on cookie sheet before removing and placing on wire rack.


Roasted Cashew Butter
8 oz (about 2 cups) roasted, salted cashew halves
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Directions
Combine the oil and nuts in a blender and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment