Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chana Saag Aloo (using Kale)

Yum
Anyone who knows me, knows I love Indian food.  I love the warming, aromatic spices and how it changes a simple dish into an amazing dish.  One of my favorite Indian dishes is Saag.  I already have two saag dishes on the blog (here and here), so why a third?  Well, I have tons of kale in my garden right now, so this recipe uses fresh kale, instead of frozen spinach.  And I think this one is my favorite so far. :)


Chana Saag Aloo
3 tablespoons canola oil 
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, finely diced 
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4-5 cups a fresh kale, chopped and steamed (about 10oz)
1/2 cup canned coconut milk (or more depending on how thick you like your saag)
2 cups cubed potatoes, cooked and drained,
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained 

Directions
Heat oil over medium heat; add garlic and onion.  Cook until soft.  Stir in spices and cook for a couple more minutes.  Add in the kale and stir well, cook for a couple of minutes.  Add in the coconut milk and heat on low for a few minutes, then place the mixture into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, stir in the potatoes and chickpeas and serve over rice.

This post was shared on Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysGluten Free Tuesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love, Whole Foods Friday, and Gluten Free Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment