Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sugar Cookies (new version)

Yum
So, I really wasn't planning on making any sweets for Valentine's day this year.  I know, I'm lame, well, more accurately, I'm tired and really busy.  Well, my sitter asked if I happened to be making sugar cookies for Valentine's, which meant, they were decorating sugar cookies for Valentine's day and my little one would need some.  So, no matter how tired or busy I am, sugar cookies for my boy comes first. :)  I didn't have yogurt in the fridge (my yogurt maker is broker, and I haven't forked over the dough for a new one), which is a main ingredient in my original sugar cookies. So, I decided to peruse the web and find the common theme in sugar cookies...which really are quite basic.  So, here's a very basic sugar cookie, that's super easy to make and yields incredibly soft, scrumptious cookies.





Sugar Cookies 
(converted and adapted from here)
1 cup dairy-free margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions:

Cream together margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in egg and vanilla and mix well.

In a separate bowl combine the flour blend and the baking powder, add the flour mixture slowly into the sugar mixture.  Mix well, I get in and mix it with my hands to fully incorporate the flour.

Place the dough in a large ziploc bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Working with half the dough at a time (keeping the other half chilled), place dough on a lightly floured surface (I put mine on parchment paper) and cover with another piece of parchment paper.  Roll to desired thickness.  Cut out with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the other half of dough.

Cook at 350F for 8-10 minutes, or until just set...I pull them out before they start browning, so watch them close.

Allow cookies to cool before frosting with your favorite frosting.  We used buttercream.

This post is shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free WednesdaysGluten Free Wednesdays, Allergy Friendly Friday, and Gluten Free Fridays.

1 comment:

  1. Approximately how many cookies does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete