Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chocolate Cream Pie

Yum
Sunday I woke up and wanted Banana Cream Pie, but I didn't have any ripe bananas.  I thought of maybe making a coconut cream pie, but I knew I would probably be the only one that would eat it (I use coconut in everything, but for some reason my family won't eat coconut itself). So, it was definitely time to make a new cream pie.  I used semi-sweet chips for my chocolate, because that's what I had in my cupboard.  You could definitely use unsweetened chocolate instead.



Chocolate Cream Pie
1 8-9" pie shell, baked (instructions are below, for baking the pie shell, also the recipe for the pie crusts makes 3 single crust pies...I make a full batch and freeze what I don't need)
2 1/2 cups So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage or other non-dairy milk
1/2 cup agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
1/3 cup GF flour blend
1/4 teaspoon salt
2oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (~1/3 cup Enjoy Life mini chips)
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Have the baked pie shell ready. To bake my pie crust, prep it as outline here. Once prepped and in the pie tin, prick the bottom ~8 times with a fork. Cover it with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake at 450F for 8 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool on a cooling rack.

In a saucepan, scald the milk and agave. In another saucepan, combine the flour and salt. Gradually whisk in the scalded milk.

Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cover and cook for two more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chocolate chips until smooth.

Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the beaten yolks, to temper them, then add the yolks into the hot mixture. Cook for another minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and add in the coconut oil and vanilla. Let the mixture sit until lukewarm.

When the mixture has cooled, pour the mixture into the pie shell. Allow to chill in the fridge before serving with your non-dairy whipped cream or coconut whipped cream.


This post is featured on Slightly Indulgent Tuesday and Allergy Free Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment