Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

Yum
I love my overnight oats, but I have been ready to change up my morning routine, so I decided to try out baked oatmeal.  Typically, baked oatmeal is a mixture between an oatmeal bar and oatmeal.  It usually has eggs in to help bind, but I made mine without (using 'flax' eggs, instead) and it turned out exactly how I wanted it to.  It also typically has quite a bit of sugar and butter, I've changed that up as well, to make it healthier and yet, still really tasty.


I also made my oatmeal in individual sizes that I could then freeze them and pull out what I want for my breakfasts, this way also gives you flexibility in what you can mix-in to the oatmeal. But, you can also make this in a 9X13 pan and have it for a brunch dish.

This batch of oatmeal I used applesauce, maple syrup, with Sunbutter, and mix-ins of peaches, apples, pecans, macademia nuts, pistachios and chocolate chips...really the possibilities are endless when making this oatmeal.



You can eat it straight up or how I eat it...I place it in a bowl and pour a little bit of nondairy milk in with it and drizzle it with maple syrup or honey and eat it with a spoon....it is definitely comfort food when eaten this way!

This post is featured on Allergy Friendly Fridays.

Baked Oatmeal

2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
6 tablespoons warm water
3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, etc)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar or honey)
1/2 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, sunbutter, etc)
1 cup nondairy milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 cups mix-ins, such as nuts, berries, chopped apples, bananas, chocolate chips, etc.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. If making individual portions, line muffin tins with cupcake liners or grease very well.  If making a large family dish, grease a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.

Place the ground flax seed in a small bowl and add water to it.  Mix it together and let it sit until it thickens and gets goopy (like egg whites).

In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl combine all the liquid ingredients, including the flax egg, and then add the mixture to the oats and stir well.

If you are making a large family-sized dish, you can add you mix-ins now, if you are making individual ones with different mix-ins wait until after you place them in the muffin tins before you add the mix-ins.

Pour the oat mixture into the baking pan or muffin tins (I used just over a 1/4 cup per tin).  Add the mix-ins to the individual portions (I pushed the fruit in, and sprinkled the nuts on top). 

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes for individual portions or 40 minutes for a large pan or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Allow the oatmeal to cool for a few minutes removing from the muffin tins and serving.  You can freeze these by cooling completely then placing in a ziploc bag and freezing them (much like freezing muffins).

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy. Seriously! Do they come out crispy? And freezing part, hope this very crispy part won't get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnie, they aren't crispy, it is more like a mixture between a muffin and regular oatmeal. Nuts do give it a nice crunch, though.

      Delete
  2. I made these tonight using PB, bananas, almond/coconut milk and raisins. Yum! I love the flexibility of this recipe and look forward to trying it with other ingredients and mix ins. I'm thinking some fall apples will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete