Sunday, July 3, 2011

Italian Sausage Frittata with Caserecce

Yum
When I saw this post on the Gluten-Free Goddess, I was instantly wanting a frittata, so I put it on my weekly menu and I made it tonight. What's fantastic about frittatas is that its a fantastic way to use up leftovers...literally put your leftovers into a cast iron skillet, pour egg over and bake. Love it!  I had some leftover pasta that I froze, because I could not waste it, I absolutely loved it the first time around and hoped it would thaw okay. So, I thawed it and used it in my frittata.  Also, I had some cooked italian sausage that needed to be used, so I cut that up and used it as well.  I also had some peppers and green onions that had been sitting in the fridge and really needed to be used....see where I'm going, yeah, frittatas use up leftovers and make them excellent! I served ours up with some pizza sauce, because that is basically my quick and easy way to make marinara sauce


Italian Sausage Frittata with Caserecce


8 large eggs
1/4 cup dairy-free milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
canola or olive oil
1/3 cup diced green onion
1/3 cup sliced orange bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 links Italian sausage, sliced
2 cups brown rice caserecce, cooked to al dente

Directions

Preheat oven to 375F. Whisk eggs with milk until frothy (I put mine in the food processor).  Season with salt, pepper, and herbs.  Set aside.

Lightly oil a 10" cast iron skillet.  Heat it over medium heat and cook the peppers for about 2 minutes, then add in the green onions and garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.  Add the sausage and pasta and stir to gently combine everything, making sure to evenly arrange everything in the pan.

Quickly pour the egg mixture over the sausage/pasta mixture.  Using a spoon, move the pasta and sausage a bit to allow the egg mixture to seep around each piece.

After a couple minutes on the stovetop, move the skillet to the center of the oven and bake the frittata for 20 minutes or until the center is set.

Serve with marinara sauce.

This post is featured on Simply Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, The Real Food Weekly, and Allergy Friendly Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment