Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Black Bean, Corn and Quinoa stuffed Anaheim Peppers

Yum
I got a dozen anaheim peppers this past weeks in my Bountiful Basket and wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with them, so I roasted and peeled them, and stuck them in the fridge.  But, they didn't stay in the fridge for very long, I saw this recipe and knew I had to stuff my peppers with it. I really didn't change the recipe much, I used my homemade fresh salsa in it (which I think makes a huge difference) and I warmed up the mixture once everything was combined.  I then stuffed my peppers with it and heated those up for a few minutes, easy peasy. :)  This is actually really incredible cold, it may be my go to salad at potlucks from now on, it's really awesome.  I have the recipe below, but all credit goes to Parents magazine, it is an incredible recipe and really easy, too.  And, for all of you that rolled your eyes when I said I made my own salsa for this, it took less time to make the salsa than it did to cook the quinoa (I know because I made it while the quinoa was cooking and I prepped the corn, black beans, and cilantro, too).



Black Bean, Corn and Quinoa Stuffed Anaheim Peppers

3/4 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup salsa (here's a link to my homemade fresh salsa)
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
12 anaheim peppers
Directions
Rinse quinoa under cold running water. In a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup quinoa with 1-1/2 cups water. Heat to boiling over high heat. Stir in salt, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Once cooked, add in corn, beans, lime juice and cillantro and heat through.  (If you are using this as a salad, you don't need to heat, just serve).

Meanwhile, place peppers under a hot broiler and cook, rotating every few minutes, until skin is blistered and blackened.  Place the peppers into a large brown paper bag and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.  Wearing gloves (I use the yellow rubber kitchen gloves) peel the skin off of the peppers, and make a slit in the side of each one.  Remove the seeds and the membranes from each, then set aside.

To stuff the peppers, place a few tablespoons of the quinoa mixture in each pepper and set in a baking pan.  Once all are stuffed cook at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.

This post is featured on the Real Food Weekly and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

3 comments:

  1. Good job with your blog Paula. I've browsed through and have seen a lot of growth in your posts. Great recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula,

    I couldn't find a "contact me" anywhere so I'll ask my question here.

    I write at wheatfreemeatfree.com. I recently decided to start doing a weekly gluten-free, vegetarian recipe roundup. I plan to include this recipe this week. If you want, I'd be happy to include the picture from this post. I think people are more interested in recipes if they can see a picture. But since it's your picture, I figured I'd ask and see if it was ok with you first.

    Thanks, Kalinda

    You can email me at kalinda [at] wheatfreemeatfree [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stuffed peppers,I can't wait to try this recipe! :) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete