Wednesday, March 23, 2011

S'mores Cookies

Yum
I have a problem...I really like cookies.  So, when I should be cleaning the house, or looking for my son's library book, or any number of other things, I'm baking cookies.  At least my family doesn't hold it against me, they in fact enjoy eating cookies as much as I enjoy making them...I don't know if that's good or not, but at least we're having fun, right?

I had an open box Kinnikinnick Smoreables in the cupboard that has been sitting there for too long, and I just can't throw them out, they just cost too much to do that, so it was time to get a little creative.  Or have someone get creative for me, then I can convert the recipe and use it. ;)  I found this recipe and knew I had to try it.  There are some major changes, obviously making it gluten-free, but I added twice the amount of flour, more cinnamon, and of course made it dairy and soy friendly as well.

By the time I finished making them it was nearly bedtime, but my little ones still managed to down two cookies a piece, and my husband tried one and shockingly said, "Wow, these are really, pretty good!"  And had at least 4 or 5 more. :)  So, they are pretty good, and they do taste like a cookie version of s'mores.

I have this on Cybele Pascale's Allergy Friendly Friday post for March 25th, check out the other allergy-friendly links here. :)


(And yes, the marshmallows are even toasted on top...s'more perfection!)

S'mores Cookies
1/2 cup dairy free (soy free if needed) margarine
1/2 cup palm oil shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups gluten free flour blend
1 cup gf graham cracker crumbs (I used Kinnikinnick smoreables that I put through the food processor)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 package (~2 cups) Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips (mini ones)
1-1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
5-6 Enjoy Life Rice Milk Chocolate Bars, chopped

Preheat oven to 375F. In a large mixing bowl, cream margarine, shortening, and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs, and mix well.  In a separate bowl mix together flours, crumbs, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Slowly beat in the flour mixture until well mixed.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Roll into 1-1 1/2" balls (or drop by tablespoons) and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 minutes and remove from oven.  Push 2-3 pieces of candy bar and 2-3 marshmallows into each cookie.  Return to the oven and bake for another 3-4 minutes until fully cooked.  Cool cookies on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.  Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

1 comment: