Monday, January 31, 2011

Why I haven't been blogging--Birthday Time!

Yum
I apologize for not blogging much this last week.  I've been stressing over my older son's birthday (which was yesterday) and his first ever friend birthday party.   It went very smoothly and we had a blast, and once again I managed to pull off an amazing birthday cake.  I have made it a tradition that they can ask for anything for a birthday cake and I will do everything in my power to make it happen, I haven't failed yet, and I hope I never fail, because they really look forward to it and they need something extra special for their birthdays.  Another awesome thing, the friends had no idea that the cake was gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. :)  I just used the Kind Arthur Chocolate Cake Mix for the cake, made some buttercream frosting and marshmallow fondant to cover it.  Here's the link to my past cakes, I've never taken a cake decorating class--I'm not saying this to brag, I'm just telling you that anyone can shape and frost a cake, and make something amazing for their kids. :)





Also, in shaping cakes, you tend to have scraps of cake leftover.  So, I decided to join the world of cake pops, everyone is doing it, so I thought I'd give it a try, since I needed to come up with a treat to take to daycare to celebrate my son's birthday today.  I eyeballed everything, so I don't really have a recipe for this.  I broke up the cake into crumbs/small pieces, then mixed in frosting (not too much or it just is really sticky), until I could form it into balls.  I then stuck the balls onto a stick and placed them in the fridge to firm up a bit.  Right before serving rolled them in powdered sugar (or dip in icing, or chocolate, or whatever you like) and voila cake on a stick--cake pops!



No comments:

Post a Comment