Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pakora Pancakes

Yum
I love Indian food, a lot.  So, we had it again last night, even though I know that my family really doesn't love it, my husband was good and ate the chicken curry and rice, the boys ate rice and clementines and I gorged myself on the curry, Saag Aloo, and these little pancakes.  I really wanted pakoras, but if you look at my recipe or know how to make pakoras you know they are deeped fried--which of course makes everything taste better, but I've been trying to be a little bit better with my eating habits, so I decided no pakoras.  But then I had the thought of using the batter for pakoras to make savory pancakes/flatbreads to go with the meal, because I definitely didn't have the time to make naan.  So, that's exactly what I did, and I couldn't stop eating them.  So, if you love the flavors of pakoras, you'll love these. :)



Pakora Pancakes

1 1/2 cups garbanzo bean flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1- 1 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped

Mix together all of the dry ingredients (except cilantro leaves).  Pour in water, add less or more depending on how thick/thin you like pancake batter, I used 1 1/4 cups. Add the cilantro and mix well.  Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.  Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot, best, of course, with a good curry to dip it in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment