Sunday, December 12, 2010

Soy-free Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin

Yum
So, I haven't had any soy sauce based dinners since taking my little one off of soy, and I really wanted some Teriyaki. So, I set out to try to find a replacement for soy sauce, so I could make my Teriyaki marinade.  So, after the boys went to bed, I went to the kitchen and started experimenting and this is what I came up with:

Mock Soy Sauce

1 1/2 cups beef stock
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a saucepan mix together all ingredients over medium heat.  Boil gently for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to 3/4-1 cup.


This doesn't taste exactly like soy sauce, it's definitely not salty enough.  But, hey not only is it soy-free, it's low sodium as well. :)

So, I used it in my teriyaki marinade in place of the soy sauce, and marinaded a 1-lb pork tenderloin for about 8 hours in it, and it tasted like teriyaki!!!

I broiled the tenderloin in the oven 5-6 inches from the top for about 15 minutes (until the internal temp was 160F), turning every few minutes and basting in reserved teriyaki marinade.  It turned out surprisingly tasty, and its soy-free, along with being gluten and dairy-free, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment