Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemade Cherry Cordials

Yum
Okay, I only eat Cherry Cordials about once a year, so I didn't think I would miss them.  I was wrong, as I was standing in line at the store a whole stack of these little chocolates was begging me to eat them...I suddenly had to have them!  So, I went home and made my own.  They aren't quite up to a chocolatier's quality, but they fulfilled my craving!  I started with this recipe, but then modified it so we could enjoy it. :)



Dairy Free Cherry Cordials

Centers:
1/4 cup soy-free margarine
2-2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon So Delicious Regular Coconut Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
~4 dozen Maraschino cherries, drained

Thoroughly cream margarine with sugar and milk.  Blend in vanilla and almond extract.  The mixture should not be sticky at all, if it is add more sugar, until you can soft and pliable but not sticking to your fingers.  Mold a small amount around a cherry, being careful to completely cover each cherry.  Place on a waxed paper-covered tray.  Cover and chill.

Dipping:
 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening

Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water.  Stir to blend.  Lower heat to maintain a warm temperature to dip chocolates.  Drop centers into chocolate and roll to coat completely.  Remove with fork to help remove excess chocolate.  Drop from fork upside down onto wax paper, swirling chocolate from the fork across the top.  Chill for 20 minutes.  Store in a cool place a day or two to form cordial.

This picture is to show you that you don't need a fancy double boiler, I have always used makeshift ones...just make sure that steam won't escape from the bottom and you'll be fine. :)

This post was featured on Cybele Pascale's Allergy Friendly Friday post for April 15th, 2011.  Check it out here, and see the other awesome recipes, too. :)

This post is also featured on Gluten-Free Holiday at Tasty Eats at Home and Gluten Free Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment