Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Menu

Yum
So Thanksgiving is only a few days away, and I'm hosting my first Thanksgiving meal.  I'm really excited, but I really hope everything turns out, but don't we all. :)  I thought I would be nice and let you all know beforehand what I'm planning, in case you need ideas. So here it is:

Turkey, of course, I'm using Alton Brown's Honey Brine Recipe and then cooking it in an oven bag to keep it moist.

Gravy, I'm not too worried about it, but I am going to use Triumph Dining's guidelines (but soy-free margarine, instead of butter), mostly because I'm curious about using the sweet rice flour in the gravy.

Mashed Potatoes, I'm winging it, because that's all I have ever done.  I do have both russets and reds right now, so I'll see what I'm in the mood for that morning.  Then I may use the So Delicious Coconut Milk or chicken broth along with soy-free margarine.  But most importantly, they are going through the potato ricer so they will be nice and smooth. :)

Stuffing, my wonderful sister-in-law was nice enough to share her family's recipe with me, the only change I have to make is using gluten-free dry bread cubes and, of course, making sure the margarine is soy-free. :) Here's the recipe (I hope it's okay that I'm sharing, I give all credit to my sis-in-law and her family):

Grandma Tolman's Sausage Stuffing (gf/df/sf):
1 lb bulk regular pork sausage (check ingredients, make sure the sausage you use is safe)
1 1/2 cups chopped celery (~3 stalks)
1 cup chopped onion (~1 large)
1/2 cup soy-free margarine
1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or dried sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 cups dry gluten-free dry bread cubes
1 to 1 1/4 cups chicken broth (check and make sure it's safe)

Directions
Cook celery, onion, and sausage in hot margarine until tender and sausage is no longer pink. Remove from heat.  Stir in sage and pepper.  Place dry bread cubes in a large bowl (make sure it is very large so you have room to stir -th ebread will shrink down as you add the liquid); add onion mixture.  Drizzle with enough chicken broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine ( adjust liquid depending on how moist/crispy you like your stuffing).  Place stuffing in a greased 2-quart casserole.  Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.  Remove the cover during the last few minutes if you like a crispy top on the stuffing.


Sweet Potato Casserole, probably my favorite side every year, I'm using my recipe from the blog.


Green Beans, I know that green bean casserole is a tradition in most homes, but not in mine, but I do love green beans and mushrooms, so I'll do my green bean mushroom saute.


Steamed Corn...simple I know, but this is about the only cooked vegetable my husband likes, so I have to have it on the table.


Green Salad...another simple side, but my boys will usually eat at least a little salad, so anyway I can get veggies in I will. And with the salad, I need to prep fresh Ranch Dressing, so my little one and I can fully enjoy his salad. ;)


Rolls, I'm using the recipe that I adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Pumpkin Chip Muffins, from my blog.  I actually have some frozen, so I'll just thaw them, can't get easier than that!


Apple Crisp, I'm using my crisp recipe, just subbing apples for the raspberries and peaches.  I decided against pie, because crisp is easier and man, I'm making everything, might as well make it easier on myself.

And if that isn't enough for all 5 of us ;) I thought I'd have deviled eggs as an appetizer while we're waiting on food to cook, using canola oil mayonnaise to make them safe for everyone.

And of course, I have to have my Caramel Chex Mix, to snack on through out the weekend, too.  Just sub the butter for soy-free margarine (I'm so happy this was on sale at Smith's Marketplace last week!).


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great Thanksgiving menu. I just added you to my list of GF bloggers over at the Crispy Cook (you can see the link on the right hand side of my blog. Have a lovely holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!? No pie?!? http://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/2010/11/gluten-free-pumpkin-pie-2010-soymilk.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle--I'm so happy you posted your pie recipe...I love it! I just wish I wasn't the only one in the family that likes pumpkin pie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm ao glad you posted this gf stuffing recipe. Have you made it with gf bread before? I'd like to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Amidee, this is the stuffing we make every year. I just use whatever GF bread of have on hand, Udi's, homemade, etc. I cube the bread and bake at 300F for 10-15 minutes, to dry them out. :)

      Delete