Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mashed Potato Cakes and Sweet Potato Biscuits

Yum
So, I'm still on my kick for using up my Thanksgiving leftovers and today is all about the sides.  I have tons of mashed potatoes and sweet potato casserole, so here is what I did to deplete those....The mashed potato cakes are scrumptious, just like anything fried.  It's crispy on the outside and smooth and creamy on the inside.  And the sweet potato biscuits, are sweet of course, but have enough salt to balance it out and so you can still call it a biscuit.  They didn't rise much, so I was worried, but they were moist and light, and I couldn't stop eating them, mainly I was trying to get my tastbuds a chance to understand what it was eating (Sweet Potato Fries do that to me, too, something about the sweet but savory combo).  I think these biscuits would be great for a turkey sandwich...hmm maybe I should try that tomorrow. ;)


Mashed Potato Cakes (adapted from here)
2 cups left over mashed potatoes, chilled
1 egg
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
~1/4 cup gluten-free flour
~1/3 cup gluten free corn flake crumbs
canola oil

Directions

1. Mix potatoes, egg, parsley, and onion powder.
2. If mashed potatoes are too moist, add flour, until you can easily for patties, I needed 1/4 cup
3. Form into 6 patties about 1/2" thick.
4. Dip in crumbs.
5. Saute in canola oil over medium heat, adding more as needed, until crispy and golden brown on both sides.

We ate ours with leftover gravy, and my husband (who doesn't eat leftovers) ate two. :)


Sweet Potato Biscuits (adapted from here)
1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons palm oil shortening
3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes (I used our leftovers from our sweet potato casserole, minus the topping)
1/4 cup So Delicious Original Coconut Milk or rice milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in the shortening.  Mix in the sweet potatoes, and enough milk to make a soft dough (I needed 1/4 cup).
3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and roll or pat out to 1/2" thickness.  Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter.  Place biscuits onto a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

These are sweet, and I think they were extra sweet because I used the casserole leftovers...but they are like most sweet potato recipes...they are sweet, yet not sweet.  And you keep eating them because your tastebuds don't understand what's just hit them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment