Thursday, November 4, 2010

Green Bean and Mushroom Saute

Yum
Okay, here's another side dish that will work perfectly with your Thanksgiving feast.  No, it's not green bean casserole, but it's fantastic.  I had thought about doing a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free version of green bean casserole, I saw plenty of recipes that would work, but you know what? The whole point of green bean casserole is that its a convenient dish, you throw a can of this in, with a can of that, top it with a can of fried onions, and ta da, it's a side dish.  Well, that all just got thrown out the window....the convenience is gone, so really is green bean casserole really that good? I really don't think its that fantastic, maybe I'm alone in this.  But I want simplicity, for goodness sake I have to make everything else from scratch, maybe I should try to simplify it all so I don't have a nervous breakdown.

So, I took the main elements from the green bean casserole: green beans, onions, and mushrooms and created this saute.  It's simple and delicious, and definitely lighter on the calories and fat. :)



Green Bean and Mushroom Saute

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
4-5 cups fresh green beans

Directions
Heat oil over medium/medium-high heat.  Add onion and mushrooms, garlic, and salt and pepper.  Cook until onions and mushrooms have softened and cooked through.  In the meantime, steam green beans to a tender crisp.  Combine the mushrooms and green beans and cook for another 2-3 minutes to combine flavors.

This post was shared on Gluten Free Holiday Thursdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment