Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns

Yum
I have been wanting a hot dog so much lately, yes I'm a kid still, I still like to eat processed meat.  I do like Brats even more, but I really just wanted the plain old, kid-friendly hot dog with ketchup and mustard.  I have gluten-free hot dogs, ketchup, and mustard...so what about hot dog buns?  I came across this idea in the Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids, which I shall say again, is a wonderful book. So, I made a batch this morning, along with some hamburger buns, as well.  And it really isn't that bad to make, and they are sooooo much better than store bought buns...so enjoy!

 Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns

1.   Prepare the Ruth's Gluten-free Bread dough as directed.
2.   Make molds as follows

  • Tear off a strip of foil about 15 inches long for hot dog buns and 8-12 inches long for hamburger buns.
  • Fold in half the long way, so it's still 15 inches long, but now skinnier.
  • Fold in half 2 more times, or until it's about 1-1 1/2" tall.
  • Bring the ends of the foil strip together, tucking one end into the folds of the other end.
  • Shape the mold into an oblong shape (or circle for hamburger buns) and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Repeat. (I made 4 hamburger buns and 4 hot dog buns with this recipe, but my hot dog buns were a little big, so you could probably get even more out of this).

3.   Grease the molds well.
4.   Spoon dough into the molds, and smooth out with a wet spatula or spoon.
 5.   Let the dough rise for 20 minutes.
6.   Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7.   Cook buns for 25-30 minutes, covering after the first 10 minutes of cooking.
8.   Remove the buns from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
9.   Remove the buns from the molds and cool completely.
10. Slice each bun in half and insert a piece of waxed paper between the slices.
11. Store buns in freezer until needed (they should last at least 3-4 months in freezer).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment