Friday, September 10, 2010

Snickerdoodles

Yum
So, I really, really, really wanted homemade cookies and milk tonight.  I've been gluten-free/casein-free for almost too weeks and really haven't missed anything until now...but luckily I found a good snickerdoodle recipe (I did want chocolate chip cookies...but only have milk chocolate chips and that probably wouldn't be good for my stomach) and I do enjoy my soy milk, so the evening ended feeling very fulfilled.  The recipe was adapted from the one on gfutah.org, I didn't have the blended flour, so I measured the different flours out separately.  They turned out so good.  My 2 year old (the one that is gluten-free right now) ate 4 of them!  I think he's been wanting cookies as badly as I have.  My 5 year old only ate 2...still, it was bedtime and they probably shouldn't have had any, but I wanted to see if they would pass the kid test. ;)  So, they are really good fresh out of the oven, by some miracle I have some left over, so we'll see how they are tomorrow.  I also froze some to take to day care for when they have cookies as snacks.

Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/6 cup (2 2/3 tablespoons) tapioca starch
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp xanthan gum 

Mixture for rolling cookies:
 2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions
1. Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  Gradually work dry ingredients into creamed mixture.
3. Roll dough into 1" balls. Roll balls in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
4. Place on a greased cookie sheet 2 to 3" apart. Bake 350 for 10 minutes.


Update Sept 11: We just finished off the cookies that I made yesterday, and they were fantastic still.  I had my brother and sister-in-law try them and they said that they take just like regular snickerdoodles, and they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment