Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cornbread

Yum
I knew when I was making the gumbo, there was a very good chance (pretty much 100%) that my older son would not even look at it, let alone try it.  So, I needed some sort of side dish that at least he would try.  What better thing to go with gumbo and rice, than cornbread?  I found this recipe in the Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids (if you don't own the book, you should, it is a good cookbook and resource!), I followed the recipe almost exactly, just replacing milk with almond milk (I think in the future I would use soy or water, though).  I did find the muffins a bit chewy, so I'm decreasing the xanthan gum a little in the recipe below.

Cornbread

1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup soymilk or water
1/4 cup oil

Directions
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and oil slightly to combine.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the batter is smooth. Do not overbeat.
4. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 inch baking pan, or greased muffin pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 for bread and 12-15 minutes for muffins, or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment