Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chicken Nuggets

Yum
My boys are at daycare all day, and I want them to not feel left out when there is chicken nuggets for lunch...so I looked at my friend, Michelle's blog to see if she had a recipe for kid friendly chicken nuggets (not just chicken cut in bize size pieces and breaded, my boys eat those, but not like chicken nuggets).  She does have a recipe!  Here is the link to her recipe here, and below is my modifications based on what I had in my kitchen last night when I made some to freeze and take to the sitter's.

Kid Friendly Chicken Nuggets

1 Egg

Breading Mixture
1/4 c gluten-free corn flakes crumbs
1/8 c brown rice flour
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt or seasoning salt
pepper to taste

Chicken Mixture
1 10 oz can chicken
a dash of the following: oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt or seasoning salt, pepper, poultry seasoning


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, grease a cookie sheet. Mix egg in a small bowl and set aside.

2. In another small bowl, mix together corn flakes or bread crumbs, flour, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour about 1/3 of the mixture on the edge of a plate.

3. Drain chicken and place in a bowl, add a little bit of the mixed egg and mash together until it binds well together. Add oregano, garlic and onion powders, parsley, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning to the paste.

4. Roll chicken paste into nugget-sized balls (I smashed mine a little, to resemble a typical nugget). Roll in flour mixture on the plate.

5. Take each "floured" ball and dip it in the egg, then roll it in the bowl with the rest of the breading and place it on the cookie sheet.

6. Cook nuggets for 12-14 minutes, turning halfway through.

Note: if you do use canned chicken...Valley Fresh does say right on the label that it's gluten free. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment