Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cache Valley GIG and Reviews

Yum
Last night I attended my first support group meeting, the Cache Valley Gluten Intolerence Group (GIG) held their monthly meeting last night.  It was at Fresh Market, so we got to see what they offer there and have some samples...I love samples, and so do my boys. :)  Also, they had a drawing for gift cards to Fresh Market and I won $10, which I promptly spent on GF treats. :)  I learned some things from the other members, some things I'm still taking in and digesting...so I won't mention them now, but one thing I'm quite excited about is that the Kroger Value brand semi-sweet chocolate chips is dairy-free!  I also with the Great Value ones (Walmart) are as well, but haven't checked.  I've never loved cheap stuff so much before!  I really never thought of checking the labels, all the other brands have milk or could be cross contaminated with milk, so I assumed if I wanted chocolate chips I would have to fork over the $5-$6 for dairy-free ones at the health food store.  So I just bought 3 bags for $1.69 each, and I'm feeling pretty good. (I did call Kroger and they wouldn't guarantee that they are dairy-free, but said that if there was any chance of cross contamination they are required by law to put that on the label).

So, we also got to try a few gluten-free products last night.  They had ham from the deli--all of there deli meats are gluten-free, the Kretchmer brand say right on their label gluten-free and MSG free, so that may be my new favorite brand!  We also had Glutino Original Crackers, which are the gluten-free version of Ritz Crackers.  They were delicious, they are a bit harder than Ritz crackers, but the taste is pretty much the same, and it goes perfectly with ham. ;)  I would rate both of these at at least a 9 out of 10 the ham because the brand labels it gluten free and MSG free and the crackers because they taste like regular crackers.  One problem with the crackers for millk sensitive people...there is no milk in the crackers, but there is potential for cross contamination, it says on the label (and I did get sick last night and I'm guessing it was the crackers and the wafers cookies).  But for those of you with only a gluten sensitivity, this won't be an issue.



We also got to try two types of cookies.  I mentioned the wafter cookies above, they were Glutino Lemon Wafer cookies, and they were really good.  The boys weren't huge on them, but they aren't lemon fans, so that didn't surprise me.  I, on the other hand, love lemon, so they were incredible.  The wafers had the texture of regular wafer cookies, so I may buy the boys the vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry ones for treats. I would give this a 9 out of 10, they were delicious and had the perfect texture.
The other cookie we tried was by far the favorite for all of us.  It was the kinnikinnick K-Toos Vanilla Sandwich cookies.  They basically are 2 of their K-Kritter with dairy-free creme in between them...yum!!! My boys had to have had at least 3 cookies a piece, we then purchased a pack (with the giftcard I got) and went home and ate at least 3 more a piece...way too many cookies, but so good! These get a 10 out of 10 for their pure awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment